There are so many decisions to make when planning your wedding or civil ceremony and choosing your flowers can sometimes just add to the stress! Here are a few tips to help the decision-making process and guide you towards your dream wedding flowers.
1. Above everything else, make sure you choose flowers that you feel comfortable with. Your flowers should play a big part in your day and will feature in many of your photographs so it is important that you choose something that you like!
2. Choose your dresses (bride’s and bridesmaids’) before seriously discussing flowers with a florist. The dresses will usually provide a starting point for choosing the colour scheme and will also help determine the styles of bouquet for the bride and bridesmaids.
3. How can the style of your wedding bouquet complement your dress? For example, if you are tall and slender with a slim-fitting dress, don’t have a huge bouquet that will hide you and the detail on your dress! Also, large bouquets can be heavy and you’ll have to hold it for quite some time when posing for pictures. Your florist should be able to advise on styles and sizes.
4. It is traditional for the groom to have a buttonhole made from a flower from his bride’s bouquet but it is often nice to make his a little different from the other groomsmen by adding more foliage or a touch of other bridal flowers . There are no hard rules about who wears a buttonhole but they would usually be supplied for the groom, best man, ushers and dads/granddads.
5. We always recommend that the venue is booked before you talk to a florist as it will lend itself to certain styles. For example, a rustic barn may suit more informal arrangements such as large vases of country flowers or jam jars but an elegant manor house with high ceilings may call for silver candelabras or tall stylish flute vases with cascades of luxurious orchids.
6. For your guest table flowers, it is a good idea to have something low (e.g. fish bowls or glass cubes) so that guests can see over the arrangements or something tall so that guests can see through them. You don’t want guests fighting to see each other through the flowers!
7. Try to get as much use as you can from your flowers. For example, can you use any of the church/civil ceremony room flowers in your reception room/venue too? Your florist will move flower arrangements for you but they will charge for their time. Could be a job for the ushers!
8. Do you want to give away any of your venue flowers as presents? This is tricky with some designs. For example, if you hire candelabra and flowers are attached to the arms, they will be difficult to give away but an arrangement sitting inside a martini vase can easily be lifted out.
9. Many flowers are now available all year round with the exception of some spring and summer flowers (e.g. tulips, peonies). However, prices of flowers will change depending on the time of year so ask your florist how this will affect the prices.
10. If you are having your wedding around Christmas, red and ivory/white flowers will be more expensive than usual. Red flowers will be expensive around Valentine’s Day and all flowers will be expensive around Mother’s Day! Just something to bear in mind.
Thank you so much for taking such good care of our wedding flowers. I felt a flurry of joy, excitement and relief when your smiling face popped around my hotel bedroom door. You listened so well and I felt safe in your hands! The flowers were beautiful, they looked stunning and magical
- Sarah & Michael Nov 2015
Thank you so much for providing us with the most beautiful flowers. Everything was perfect and I had so many compliments about my bouquet. Your service was fantastic and I will be sure to recommend you
- Chloe & Chris August 2015
We just wanted to say a massive thank you for all of your hard work and creativity to make our wedding flowers absolutely stunning! They were so perfect and even more than I had imagined when we discussed our theme. My bouquet in particular was so beautiful
- Laura & Mike July 2015
I just wanted to say thank you so much for the absolutely stunning flowers. They were amazingly beautiful and far exceeded what I had imagined. My bouquet was perfect and the venue flowers, well wow the comments we received throughout the day and since about the flowers have been amazing and the photos are just incredible. Thank you again for helping make my wedding day the most memorable and special day
- Camilla & James August 2015
We just wanted to say a huge thank you for our flowers on Saturday. Everything looked beautiful. We had such a lovely day and just wanted to thank you for helping to make it so perfect!
- Amanda & Gareth Jan 2015
Massive thanks to bloom bloom for our gorgeous wedding flowers. They were all perfect! Thank you from The Harts!
- Caroline & Steve April 2014
A huge thank you for the lovely flowers you provided for our wedding. They were exactly what I wanted and everyone loved them. Couldn't have asked for it any other way! Thanks again.
- Sophia & David June 2014
Thank you for creating wonderful flower arrangements for our wedding. The bouquets were perfect, I was so thrilled with all that you did! Thank you so much, you really captured what we wanted.
- Lizzie & Tom April 2014